[freeside-users] Domains and catchalls

Stuart Craig scraig at spiritone.com
Thu Feb 16 19:49:20 PST 2006

Thanks for answering my last question Dave.  We do add customers to two
of our three primary domains, and it looks like we'll be using the third
soon as well.

Next question...  I tried to set a fixed catchall of "error:nouser 550
User Unknown" on one of our primary domains, but when I try to provision
that domain, I get:

Error: Illegal (numeric) catchall: error:nouser 550 User Unknown

Examining the svc_domain table, I see catchall is defined as an
integer... so maybe I don't understand what it's really used for.  Is it
used as an index into another table?  I thought it was a place to store
the domain catchall email address, and we require that the catchall for
all domains be the error message above.  We implemented that policy a
couple of years ago after a few incidents where spammers made dictionary
attacks against customer domains and stuffed 10s of thousands of spam
emails into a single mailbox.

At this point, I'm just trying to fumble my way through the setup far
enough to get FreeSide to provision a basic dialup account and launch a
couple of exports (one to LDAP, one using SSH).  This is mostly for
proof of concept, and so I can setup a bit of a demo for other folks in
the office here.  It's also a learning experience for me, of course.

Thanks,
  - Stu

--
Stuart Craig <scraig at spiritone.com>