[freeside] HTML invoice?

Derek Billingsley optigold at geeknet.ca
Tue Aug 5 01:13:21 PDT 2003

In another project I'm working on, I used a great Perl module PDF::API2
to build PDF's of invoices.

This is handy because you can convert your existing stationary to PDF
and import it and use it as the basis of your invoice:
    ## Open the generic invoice
    $generic = $base_dir . "/generic_template.pdf";
    $pdf=PDF::API2->open($generic);
    $page = $pdf->openpage;

Then you go about positioning text to print on the page.  I wrote a
function that sets up the fonts and writes a text box to a point on the
page:
printto(300, 590, 10, "black", 0, 1, "Mailing Address (if different)");

, where:
sub printto {
   ($x, $y, $fontsize, $color, $underline, $bold, $text) = @_;

   if ($bold == 0) {
      $txt->font($f1, $fontsize);
   } else {
      $txt->font($f1bold, $fontsize);
   }

   $txt->translate($x, $y);

   if ($underline == 1) {
      $txt->text($text, -color=>[$color], -underline=>0);
   } else {
      $txt->text($text, -color=>[$color]);
   }
}

API2 gives you a lot more capability that I only barely use - using
line-art on a part, importing images to place on the PDF, ..

I haven't really dug into Freeside that deeply yet - I wanted to start
using it as a front-end to Plesk but I would need to run a separate
postgres instance in order to service the database requests.  Anyone out
there interface Freeside with Plesk yet?  Or have I just discovered
another hobby  :)

Derek