[freeside] setup queue (feature suggestion?)

ivan ivan at 420.am
Wed Aug 29 12:34:38 PDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 10:43:00AM -0500, Vlad Sedov wrote:

> > to clarify: i do think that the jobs should be stuck in an sql table and
> > run asynchronously by a daemon that queries the tables.  i *don't* think
> > that this daemon should run on external servers; it should run on your
> > secure backend billing machine (or machines) and ssh to any external
> > machines if necessary.
>
> i agree... i started working on the code... so far it's rather primitive, because i don't have much object-oriented perl experience yet... I'm still trying to figure out how the FS perl modules work and how to use them to pull account data out of the sy
stem.. :-|

> i'm eager to get this working and share whatever patches i might conjure up with the list...
> but first - this might sound stupid - i have to figure out how the API works.

The API is documented; if you're working with CVS you probably want to
refer to the generated manpages for the current documentation.  `man FS'
for starters.

In eg/table_template.pm there is a skeleton class for writing an FS::
class for new database tables, which you'll need for your queue table.

The web demo uses a queue like this, though it talks to the database
directly instead of using the FS::Record API, it might be a useful
reference.  The code is included in fs_webdemo/ directory in the
distribution - register.cgi adds things to the queue and registerd.Pg
acts on them.