[freeside] MySql Help - a *VERY* negative opinion is rendered

Kenneth R. Lewis randy at rtmx.net
Fri Aug 3 15:48:11 PDT 2001

Gary,

I too had this problem, and got the same 'pat' answer from Ivan,
while others who have inquired get somewhat reasonable responses.
Could it be cyclical? Even periodic?

It is a shame that Freeside has these dependencies, and at the
same time, a prohibition ( read "lack of tutorial or documentation")
on help for anything deemed "out of scope"..yet required.

I was able to get around the Perl DBD:mysql issues by removing, then
reinstalling the entire perl distribution----then going through
the step-by-step process of installing (via CPAN interactive shell)
the list of dependencies. Only after that arduous effort, and much
wasted time was I able to get Freeside running.  Oh, and by the way,
divining the obscure notation methods, file/directory naming convention
and other obfuscation's consumed even more precious time. Eventually
I was able to get to a point where I could discover the severe
limitations,
dead ends and oversights that make up Freeside.

Essentially, Freeside has one useful module and that has to do with
customer database entry. The rest is an awkward attempt at interfacing
to RADIUS (albeit not too smoothly) and a severly limited accounting
paradigm that has little to do with real accounting needs or practices.

Things like: recurring billing of Credit Card customers - duh, this is
probably the MOST important thing to get right - requires more steps
and effort than dealing with the local DMV employee... C'mon!
For me, it is the clearest of indications that this effort (although
noble) is not ready for prime time. You truly do get what you pay for.

On that note, the 'offer' [sic] to consult/per hour by the author,
coupled
with the ego-centric put-downs for newcomers to Freeside should be
warning
enough..... This is my honest, and battle earned opinion.

So - I tried, I learned, I abandoned quickly.

K.R. Lewis  (Responses will be summarily ignored.)