[freeside] POP Locater

ivan ivan at 420.am
Fri Nov 17 22:36:40 PST 2000

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 06:31:27AM -0500, Stephen Amadei wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, ivan wrote:
>
> > the difficult bit isn't the program to do the lookup - that could be
> > whipped up in an afternoon - but the database of area code/prefixes and
> > their corresponding local calling area.  Unless things have changed
> > recently, it's extrememly difficult to get this information
> > comprehensively from your local Ma Bell.
>
> Yes and no.  To my knowledge, the COs that demark calling areas don't
> change often.  It's the added exchanges that change alot.
>
> The exchanges can be downloaded from a source... I have the link
> someplace.  The trick is what COs can call other COs... and this is
> determined somewhat by the user's calling plan.  All the major telcos
> have now published their state by state tariffs that contain, hidden
> inside, local calling info.

Published?  Download?  Boy, you guys are lucky these days.  Last I worked
at an ISP, we fought with them in court for over a year to get that
information, and they gave it to us in cryptic small print on these giant,
poster-size tables, hardcopy only.

I'd be interested if you could provide more information... like the URL,
or the database itself.

--
meow