[freeside] POP Locater

Stephen Amadei amadei at dandy.net
Fri Nov 17 03:31:26 PST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, ivan wrote:

> the difficult bit isn't the program to do the lookup - that could be
> whipped up in an afternoon - but the database of area code/prefixes and
> their corresponding local calling area.  Unless things have changed
> recently, it's extrememly difficult to get this information
> comprehensively from your local Ma Bell.

Yes and no.  To my knowledge, the COs that demark calling areas don't
change often.  It's the added exchanges that change alot.

The exchanges can be downloaded from a source... I have the link
someplace.  The trick is what COs can call other COs... and this is
determined somewhat by the user's calling plan.  All the major telcos
have now published their state by state tariffs that contain, hidden
inside, local calling info.  Also, an old DOS-based app was made that
contains the data files for NH, ME and Canada... I haven't converted
it to the database yet... so quite a bit of info is available.

					----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Dandy.net CTO
Atlantic City, NJ