[freeside] Page refreshing

Jason Spence thalakan at technologist.com
Sat Dec 2 19:43:58 PST 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 04:11:49PM -0800, Kristian Hoffmann developed
a new theory of relativity and:

> Make sure the time on your windows machine is close (within a few
> seconds) to your machine running freeside.  "now" is relative to what
> machine you're on.  Failing that, you can add the
> "Cache-Control: No-Cache" header to all of the pages.  That seemed to
> help and will also tell proxies not to cache the pages locally.

On this note, we've been having issues with people behind a Novell
BorderManager firewall/NAT box access Freeside, since BorderManager
has some weird cache which (as far as I can tell) turns on randomly
and causes all sorts of havoc with Freeside.

We're going to install squid at the site we've deployed Freeside at
soon, so I think it's time that Freeside learned how to deal with
caches.  We're already halfway there with the FS::CGI module, I would
think.  I'd write a patch, but I already have (I think) three ones
floating in Ivan's queue and I haven't received any response on those
yet, so...

Kristian, it sounds like you've already tried this.  Do you have a
patch for the CGI.pm file that changes the headers?

Actually, I just had a thought: the "browse customers by customer
number" page is pretty beefy, and it would probably be a good thing to
have search/cust_main.cgi say that its output is cacheable if

1) it's running under mod_perl and

2) it sees that it's about to run a query on cust_main, and cust_main
   hasn't changed lately (but how to check this?)

 - Jason