[freeside] Performance issues

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Sun Oct 3 18:12:18 PDT 1999

Using mod_perl will give a _drastic_ performance improvement, as
Perl code will be cached in compiled form (per Apache child).
<http://perl.apache.org/>.

For example, in my K6-200, it takes about 4 seconds for the New Customer
screen to come up.

You also want to use the Apache::DBI perl module, which provides
persistant database connections - especially if you are using PostgreSQL,
which has much higher connection overhead than MySQL.

There are some bits of code which could be optimized, still.  Most
potential optimizations involve caching data (from the database or
filesystem) and thus would probably end up requiring a server restart for
changes to configuration files or the Administration menu settings to take
effect.

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside