Problems adding new user - Error: Illegal shell

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Sun May 16 16:47:57 PDT 1999

I answered these same questions from you in your previous mail at
<http://www.sisd.com/freeside/list-archive/msg00585.html>.  If my

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 09:57:13PM -0700, Perry J. Blalock wrote:
> Why do I get the following error(s) after attempting to add a new user:
>
> 	If I select "e-mail invoice" on the new user form, freeside gives me the
> following error - and the email account *is* on the local machine with
> freeside:
>
>       "Error: Unknown local account (specified literally)"

You probably put a (local) email address in for email invoices.  Freeside
stores these as references to the database records, so (for example) they
follow username changes.

I'm guessing you put in the email address that you were creating, and got
that error because it didn't exist yet.  Sounds like a buglet to me.  I'll
try to fix that soon; in the meantime you can add the invoicing email
address afterwords.

> 	If I select "Postal mail invoice, I get the following error from freeside -
> and yes, I *do* have a legal shell defined in /conf/shells:
>
> 	"Error: Illegal shell"

I don't think this is related to postal mail invoicing, just that the
above error message was first.

Possibly, you didn't set a default or a fixed shell for the service (in
the package) that you're ordering.  Go to the 'View/Edit service
definitions' in the Administration section of the web interface, and edit
the service definition.  As it says on the edit page, "all service
definitions should have a default or fixed shell that is present in the
shells configuration file".

Or, perhaps you didn't add that shell to the shells configuration file.

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside