Exporting

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Mon Jun 28 19:13:16 PDT 1999

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 08:45:14AM -0700, Joel Griffiths wrote:
> BTW, before you import the information with svc_acct.import, make sure you
> actually have a shell for each of the entries in the password file. RedHat has
> a bad habit of just leaving the shell entry blank (they default to /bin/bash)
> in the passwd file. When svc_acct.export is run with a blank shell, you get a
> whole bunch of zeros.

svc_acct.import shouldn't let you import blank shells unless you've put a
blank line in the `shells' configuration file.

On export, they should continue to be blank, not `0' (zero).  Can you
help me duplicate this problem?

> One more thing about svc_acct.import I found was that the password fields get
> messed up and I had to maually fix them from mysql. They were imported as-is
> and then exported encrypted so I had double encrypted passwords. This really
> surprised me when I tried to log back in.

Hmm.  That shouldn't happen - svc_acct.export should pick up that the
password is already encrypted and not attempt to encrypt it again.  If you
have the resources to duplicate this problem again in a non-production
environment, I'd like to take a look.

> MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR PASSWD AND SHADOW FILES BEFORE YOU DO THIS. ALSO
> MAKE SURE YOU KEEP A ROOT SHELL OPEN TO shellmachine SO YOU CAN FIX ANY
> PROBLEMS THAT MAY ARRISE.

Excellent advice.  :)

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi