Exporting

Joel Griffiths griff at aver-computer.com
Wed Jun 23 08:50:54 PDT 1999

BTW, before you import the information with svc_acct.import, make sure you
actually have a shell for each of the entries in the password file. RedHat has
a bad habit of just leaving the shell entry blank (they default to /bin/bash)
in the passwd file. When svc_acct.export is run with a blank shell, you get a
whole bunch of zeros.

One more thing about svc_acct.import I found was that the password fields get
messed up and I had to maually fix them from mysql. They were imported as-is
and then exported encrypted so I had double encrypted passwords. This really
surprised me when I tried to log back in.

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR PASSWD AND SHADOW FILES BEFORE YOU DO THIS. ALSO
MAKE SURE YOU KEEP A ROOT SHELL OPEN TO shellmachine SO YOU CAN FIX ANY
PROBLEMS THAT MAY ARRISE.

--
Senior Internet Engineer                  Aver, Inc.
(760) 568-4351 Phone              (760) 341-8694 Fax