Can't get secrets

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Tue Apr 20 21:04:32 PDT 1999

I'll try to clear things up.

There are three different kinds of usernames here: actual system username,
Apache usernames, and SQL usernames.  The current documentation is
probably confusing with regards to keeping this clear.  :/

System usernames, i.e. accounts in /etc/passwd.  For this, we just use one
`freeside' system user.

Apache usernames: stored in an htpasswd file, or (if you're using
Authen::DBI) stored in a separate SQL database.  (even if you store them
in an SQL database, they're _not_ the SQL usernames... we'll get to those
in a sec)

When you enter your password into your browser, It gets looked up in the
`/usr/local/etc/freeside/mapsecrets' file.  So if you've got a `mark'
Apache user, you would put the line (with no leading whitespace though):

    mark secrets

in the mapsecrets file.  The `secrets' part is a filename; it could be
`secrets.the_main_database' or `my_left_shoe'.  It is located in
/usr/local/etc/freeside/

In this file, you put (again, with no leading whitespace):

    DBI:mysql:freeside
    freeside
    password

The `DBI:mysql:freeside' is the DBI datasource, sometimes known in the DBI
documentation as `dsn' for data source name. (for Postgres, it looks like
`DBI:Pg:dbname=freeside').  The next two lines are the SQL username and
password used to log on to the SQL database.

The rest of the configuration files are located in the directory
`/usr/local/etc/freeside/conf.<datasec>', i.e.
`/usr/local/etc/freeside/conf.DBI:mysql:freeside'.

You still won't be able to clik on `New Customer' until you've setup your
configuration files, run bin/fs-setup, and added entries to the
administration section on the web interface.

Hope that helps.

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside