Can't get secrets

mark strawser mstrawser at ezonline.com
Tue Apr 20 15:51:38 PDT 1999

Hi folks,

Been playing w/ Freeside for a week or so now, reading the mailing lists
and working my way thru various problems. I'm now at a point where I'm
stuck and could use some advice/help. I'm nearly at the end of the
installation instructions, at the "configuration files" section. I find the
instructions for setting this up vague, and have tried a few things, but
still no dice.

I set up the file /usr/local/etc/freeside. My first attempt I used the
(old?) format from /usr/local/fs-1.2.1/conf/secrets file, like this:

DBI:mysql:freeside
freeside
freeside

"freeside" is a fully priviliged user in system (linux 2.0.35) and MySQL.
I've also tried this w/ user "mark" pass "mark" who is auth'd thur
.htaccess. No luck. Then tried it in the (new?) format like this:

freeside freeside
mark mark

Both of these give the error:

Can't get secrets: No such file or directory at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/FS/UID.pm line 224.

when I try to access "New Customer" on the main menu on my own server.

Like I said, I'm having trouble understanding the directions for setting
this part up. Maybe I'm just stupid :)

Also, I've not completed the rest of the steps in the install, so just
doing this may clear up the problem. I've not because a) I don't want to
skip over a step when I don't believe I've set it up correctly b) I don't
understand the instructions for "datasrc" either. (Explanation and/or
example of this step would be helpful as well)

Hope I've provided enough info. Thanx in advance for help.

mark