Already in use

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Sat Dec 19 18:29:26 PST 1998

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 03:47:01AM +1100, Robert Davidson wrote:

> Your solutions are all simple.
>
> GIVE UP!!!
>
> While FreeSide looks like it could be a potentially great package, Ivan never
> seems to help anyone very well. Not enough time hey Ivan?

Yes, I've been very busy.

> Or do you simply
> make it so it's that hard for people who dont know perl inside out to use
> FreeSide so that you can make some $$$$ installing it for idiots?

You don't need to know Perl inside and out (see man perlguts) but you
probably do need some basic Perl knowledge.  I suggest _Learning Perl, 2nd
Edition_, by Randal L. Schwartz & Tom Christiansen.
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl2/)

> The instructions for FreeSide are very uncomplete. I for one have had many
> trys at FreeSide, never getting the damn thing to work properley. It's been a
> great challenge, never the less.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

> I gave up on freeside long ago, and I've been laughing at you lot trying
> to get it going, hoping you will, but knowing you dont stand much of a
> chance.  I know that there are alot of people on this list with probs
> with freeside..

Yes, most of the users I'm aware of that aren't having problems have long
since unsubscribed from the list due to the poor signal-to-noise ratio.

> Freeside would probably be good if the documentation
> as more extensive, if you included the shortcuts (like instead of going
> to that place to get those perl modules, just getting the deb's for it
> from www.somesite.org), those kinds of hints would be good.

Any documentation updates you would like to offer would be gratefully
accepted.

Debian packages are available from the Debian package installation tool,
`dselect'.  Debian users don't usually download .deb files outside that
context.  I'm assuming that the Debian users (and the Red Hat users, etc.)
are familiar with their own installation tools.

> It would be good if you (ivan) would give more informative
> answers when you reply to some people on this list, sometimes a "yes"
> or a "no" isn't enough.. Sometimes an explantion is a great help.

Yes.

> Ivan.. I dont like you very much.

I don't like you very much either.

> It's good that you are making a product lke
> freeside, and the only reason I'm not abusing you is because you dont deserve
> to be abused in my books, as you wrote Freeside, which I'm sure someone has
> gotten some use out of.. From what I can tell, the majority of us havn't..

Whew!  I was worried there that you were abusing me.  Glad you
straightened that out.

> Ivan.. the reason I dont like you is because you dont seem to help people on
> this list as much as you could (and should as far as I believe)..

I `should'?

The reason I don't like you is that you are a clueless luser.

> If your
> emails back to these people with problems were just a little more informative
> you may save some people alot of time instead of rooting them around.
>
> Please un-subscribe me from your list. I no longer have any intrest in
> Freeside.

Yes, you should not be subscribed to nor should you post to the list.

DO NOT SEND ADMINISTRATIVE REQUESTS TO THE MAILING LIST!
If you do, I won't see them, and subscribers will yell at you.

--- Here are the ezmlm command addresses.

I can handle administrative requests automatically.
Just send an empty note to any of these addresses:

   <ivan-freeside-subscribe at sisd.com>:
   Receive future messages sent to the mailing list.

   Stop receiving messages.

   <ivan-freeside-get.12345 at sisd.com>:
   Retrieve a copy of message 12345 from the archive.

DO NOT SEND ADMINISTRATIVE REQUESTS TO THE MAILING LIST!
If you do, I won't see them, and subscribers will yell at you.

to <ivan-freeside-subscribe-God=heaven.af.mil at sisd.com>.
I'll send a confirmation message to that address; when you receive that
message, simply reply to it to complete your subscription.

> Thankyou for your time when trying to help me. It was very much appriciated.

Could have fooled me.

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> relhoK navI
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside