[freeside-users] OS and CPU

Ivan Kohler ivan at freeside.biz
Tue May 30 17:05:47 PDT 2017

On 4/26/2017 6:32 PM, Ivan Kohler wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 06:32:03PM -0400, Blair Davis wrote:
> > Can Freeside live happily on a 32bit CPU and OS?
> Technically, yes.  Nothing in our codebase requires a 64 bit CPU or OS.
> [...]
> FWIW, most of our customers are running on 64 bit systems.  We have a
> small handful left on leagcy 32 bit systems and are actively migrating
> them to 64 bit installs.

Keeping this on-topic with regard to Freeside rather than general
discussion about the usefulness or elecricity cost of obsolete hardware
(the majority of ours were VMs or inadvertent installs on 64-bit capable
hardware anyway):

We've completed several migrations as part of our Debian 8 uprgrades and
just have a couple left on 32 bit installs.

We'll shortly be phasing out testing of 3.x versions in 32 bit
environments.  We don't test 4.x on 32 bits.

If you're using our Debian repo, although none of the Perl moudles are
current architecture-specific, we aren't going to avoid new dependencies
that might be, maintain a 32 build environment, build or host them in
our repo.

As I said, as a Perl/SQL web application, Freeside itself is
architecture independent, and we're not planning on changing that.

But, especially if if using our Deb repo (or building one based on it
for Ubuntu), going with 32 bit for a new implementation today does carry
some risk of neding additional maintenance work in the future.

Hope that helps you decide.

--
Ivan Kohler
President and Head Geek, Freeside Internet Services, Inc.  http://freeside.biz/