[freeside-users] Can't log in on fresh install.

Ivan Kohler ivan at freeside.biz
Mon Mar 6 18:26:42 PST 2017

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 07:37:36AM +0000, Terence Rees Thomas wrote:
> Hi

Hi,

I don't mean to pick on you, Terence, but I do need to point out better
security practices for the record.

> I find it best to install webmin after freeside as it helps to find
> problems and helps you configure your server.

I strongly disagree.  Webmin creates additional attack surface and I
would never use it on a secure server.

> Log into webmin and go to servers then to PostgreSQL you will need to add
> yourself to users giving yourself full access to all databases.

No, this is unnecessary.  You do not need to create per-user accounts
for database access; all database access by the application is done as
the "freeside" PostgreSQL user, and this user and permissions are setup
during the installation process.

> Use the
> username and password that you use to log into Debian, you will then use
> this to log into freeside.

I disagree with this advice, and would strongly recommend using
different passwords for your UNIX account and the Freeside web
interface.

--
Ivan Kohler
President and Head Geek, Freeside Internet Services, Inc.  http://freeside.biz/