[freeside-users] torrus monitoring install WebGUI not working

Ivan Kohler ivan at freeside.biz
Tue Jul 21 16:19:04 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 11:33:35PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have installed torrus and have the backend running.
>
> I click on:
> Networking Main
>
> It changes web page to:
> https://freeside-server/freeside/torrus/main
>
> It fails with:
> 500 Internal Server Error

Hi,

Torrus works fine for us, although we don't have it deployed for as many
people as the base software or ticketing system.

Any time you get an "Internal Server Error", there will be a
corresponding full error in the Apache error log (probably
/var/log/apache2/error.log) that will give you more information.
Reporting just "Internal Server Error" doesn't provide enough useful
information for anyone to be able to help you.

The Torrus installation docs are at
http://www.freeside.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Freeside:3:Documentation:Torrus_Installation

The Torrus administraiton docs are at
http://www.freeside.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Freeside:3:Documentation:Torrus_Administration

IIRC, you have to add your first device from the CLI before the web
interface will work.

> There is no 'torrus' directory in the 'freeside' apache directory.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Again, this definitely works for
us.  The torrus files are installed by the Makefile "install-torrus"
target (when TORRUS_ENABLED is turned on).

Torrus is also included in the Debian packages now available.

> This is a modified install that started from the VM install.

Before reporting any problem, you should reproduce with a stock,
unmodified version.

Tangentally relevant: the new Freeside 3.7 version includes intergration with
external Cacti systems as an alternative (or in addition to) the
integrated system based on Torrus.

--
Ivan Kohler
President and Head Geek, Freeside Internet Services, Inc.  http://freeside.biz/