[freeside-users] Perl error

Dave Burgess burgess at cynjut.com
Thu Apr 30 06:47:52 PDT 2015

Just to echo Ivan's comments, at one point I had FreeSide running on NetBSD, so I doubt the subtle differences between Ubuntu and Debian are the source of the problem.

> I wonder if I am just fighting an incompatible perl version

All production versions of perl 5.8.4 and later are supported/compatible.

> on the latest Ubuntu LTS.

On Ubuntu, folks with advanced sysadmin and Perl stack experience have
certianly gotten the software running.

Debian is the most popular OS for running Freeside, and the one which we
support with a full set of tested, packaged prerequisites (and soon
Freeside packages too).  Debian OS releases now have five years of
support (like Ubuntu LTS).

If the community would like better support for Ubuntu, please step up
and contribute (to Ubuntu-specific install documentation, to a
repository of Perl library prerequisites, to making the Freeside .deb
packages build and work on Ubuntu, etc.)

>   I am getting a lot of errors in the handler.pl script.
>
> defined(@array) is deprecated at /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2/Chart/Base.pm line 181.

These are non-fatal warnings, not fatal errors.  Unless there is
specific relevance to something broken in the software, I would not
worry about warnings.