[freeside-users] Web Hosting

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Fri Apr 27 10:17:23 PDT 2007

Jim Cobb wrote:
> I would like to move my sites over to a Debian server running Apache
> and other services.  What control panels are people using to allow
> clients to manage their own domains?  I would like them to be able to
> add/remove email accounts, reset passwords, create sql db's if their
> account includes access to them.  SQL is not a big need, but email
> control and passwords are.

We're currently moving the last of our hosting customers off of our RaQs
and onto SWSoft Plesk.

We haven't finished converting the exports to work with Plesk; we're
currently using a custom Perl script to create sites.

The exports will be a stop-gap anyway.  We have grandiose plans for
enhancing the hosting support in Freeside to meet our needs.

> I see Freeside exports to ISPMan, which I will use if there is
> nothing better.
>
> I will also need to import sites and email from our current
> BlueQuartz (cobalt) server into our new webserver, hopefully fully
> integrating into the Control Panel and Freeside.

Plesk includes a Migration Manager, but it was broken in 8.1.  Not sure
if it's fixed in Plesk 8.1.1.  I wrote some custom migration code that
might wind up in Freeside eventually.

I believe good support for control panels will require running an agent
on the hosting machines that talks to Freeside, so you can keep
Freeside's database in sync with what the customers are doing through
the control panel.

Regards,

	Richard.