[freeside-users] Re: Installing freeside-cvs via the debian install script

Scott Edwards supadupa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:49:34 PST 2006

On 1/23/06, Scott Langley <scott at ruralnetwork.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.  I replied to your comments in-line below:
>
> Ivan Kohler writes:
>
> > Again just FYI, on Debian, I personally install all the Perl modules
> > from packages rather than anything from CPAN directly.  The
> >   deb http://420.am/~ivan/freeside-sarge/ ./
> > apt source should have verything necessary to run Freeside CVS
> > (including RT) on Debian 3.1.
>
> I know that it downloaded some debian perl packages from there, but
> apparently the current version of http://420.am/~ivan/freeside-sarge/
> is missing a few modules, at least the versions desired by:
> freeside/rt/sbin/rt-test-dependencies

I also agree mainstream debian packages are the way to go, even for
perl modules found on CPAN.  How do you find that pesky package that
has DBI.pm?  Use apt-file:

apt-file search DBI.pm

This returns a list with libdbi-perl, among other things.  In this
case, you can just apt-get install libdbi-perl.

If it is not available, consider using dh-make-perl as an *ordinary*
user to build a debian package.  Eg,

$ dh-make-perl --build --cpan HTML::Session::ForKids

if it were a real CPAN module, should build
libhtml-session-forkids-perl_0.02-1_all.deb.  CPAN modules that are in
the perl base, or in an already available debian package may not build
well this way.

After, you can install with dpkg.

# dpkg -i libhtml-session-forkids-perl_0.02-1_all.deb

Best of luck!