[freeside-users] Installing freeside-cvs via the debian install script

Scott Langley scott at ruralnetwork.net
Mon Jan 23 14:58:30 PST 2006

-------------- next part --------------
Last week, I installed Freeside CVS on Debian Sarge, x86, using the
script freeside/install/debian/3.1/INSTALL.  As that script hasn't
been updated since October, here is what I had to do to make this work
with the current CVS:

1. Edit freeside/install/debian/3.1/INSTALL to use the proper settings
for your site.

2. You need to change the default permissions for Postgresql to let the
   freeside database user login.  If Postgresql is already installed on your
   system, you can go ahead and modify the file:
	/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
   to have this line:

local   freeside         freeside                                   md5

as in:

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK           METHOD
# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local   all         postgres                                        ident sameuser
local   freeside         freeside                                   md5
# All other connections by UNIX sockets
local   all         all                                             ident sameuser

   If Postgresql is not yet installed, then you should run only that portion
   of the install script:
   	freeside/install/debian/3.1/INSTALL
   that occurs before line 37:

	su freeside -c "createdb freeside"

   then edit the file /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf as indicated above, before
   continuing with running the rest of the lines of the install script.

3. If you are installing freeside with integrated RT, then you will discover
   that the CVS version is missing some required perl modules as running:
   	freeside/rt/sbin/rt-test-dependencies --with-pg
   will tell you.  The modules needed for developing within RT are not
   strictly necessary.

   Some of these required perl modules are available as debian packages, and
   some appear to be only installable directly from source (or CPAN). So I
   inserted these lines starting at line 31 of the original INSTALL script for
   debian according to this before-and-after diff:

BEFORE:
<       libjavascript-rpc-perl libipc-run3-perl
---
AFTER:
>       libjavascript-rpc-perl libipc-run3-perl \
>       unzip lynx ncftp ftp \
>       libjson-perl libmldbm-perl \
>       libxml-rss-perl libtext-wikiformat-perl \
>       libmodule-versions-report-perl libxml-simple-perl \
>       libwww-mechanize-perl

The packages "unzip lynx ncftp ftp" were installed to make CPAN it's most happy.
After running:
        libwww-mechanize-perl
you should break out of the install script again and run CPAN in order to install
the rest of the perl modules needed by RT.

This is what I did:
 perl -MCPAN -e shell
 install  Hook::Lexwrap
 install  HTTP::Server::Simple
 install  HTTP::Server::Mason

The module "Hook::Lexwrap" is needed by the current version of
HTTP::Server::Simple.  For now, I decided to not install the modules needed
for developing inside RT.

4. I found it necessary to modify line 50 of the original script to create
   the fs_queue user with a password.

So this line:
	freeside-adduser fs_queue
became this:
	freeside-adduser -h /usr/local/etc/freeside/htpasswd fs_queue

and that was about all that was needed to get freeside with internal rt
up and running on debian Sarge.

--
Scott Langley
scott at ruralnetwork.net