[freeside-users] exporting to PowerDNS database

Ivan Kohler ivan at 420.am
Wed Jan 18 23:23:23 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:34:30PM -0700, Scott Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:39:24AM -0600, Vlad Sedov wrote:
> > has anyone experimented with exporting DNS records from freeside to a
> > database-driven DNS server, such as powedns?....
>
> If you're considering using powerdns because the updates are dynamic,
> you may want to note that BIND already supports dynamic on-the-fly
> modifications.  The RFC's for this were developed years ago, and it
> works rather well.  In my pondering, I think it would be nice to see
> updates hit the DNS servers as they are requested.  This of course,
> also requires development into freeside, because these features are
> yet unavailable in freeside.

That's a neat idea, you could use Net::DNS::Update in
FS::part_export::bind (and make sure FS::domain_record triggered
FS::svc_domain modify exports).

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DNS/lib/Net/DNS/Update.pm

> I've only seen this in production for a DNS blacklist.  I'm doutful
> this handles adding/removing domains themself.

maybe it does, this seems to imply you can?

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DNS/lib/Net/DNS/Update.pm#Add_a_TXT_record_for_a_name_that_doesn%27t_exist