[freeside-users] Question about domains

Stuart Craig scraig at spiritone.com
Thu Feb 16 16:36:49 PST 2006

Okay, time to start with the dumb questions.

I've got FreeSide installed, mostly, and I'm working on the creation of
exports, services and packages.  I don't think I've run into any bugs
yet, but just for completeness, I'm using:

Fedora Core 4
FreeSide 1.5.7
HTML::Mason 1.3101
Perl 5.8.6
PostgreSQL 8.0.3
DBI 1.48
DBD::Pg 1.43

I'm also using Apache2 and mod_perl2.

I'm struggling to understand how FreeSide's handling of domains can be
mapped to our admittedly oddball setup.  SpiritOne has acquired two
other ISPs over the years, and we have kept all three domain names
active - spiritone.com, aracnet.com and involved.com.  So, rather than
one "primary" domain, we have three.  How do I model that in FreeSide?
It appears to me that I have to make three copies of each package, each
including a different svc_domain, in order to support our setup.  Is
that right, or am I missing something?

Our current system allows us to easily move customers from one domain to
another.  If I'm right about having to triplicate the packages, then it
seems a lot more painful under FreeSide.  I'm not sure that's a huge
deal, though, it probably only happens once a month on average.  On the
other hand, setting up and maintaining three copies of every package
does seem pretty painful.

Thanks,
  - Stu

--