[freeside] Seg Fault during freeside daily and instlation comments

ivan ivan at 420.am
Tue Mar 22 12:15:38 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 05:05:05PM -0800, Gerard J. Cerchio wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a newbie to freeside and have just completed my first install.  I
> have run into a few nits, a few maybe nits and a biggie.
>
> NITS:
>
>    the Locale::SubCountry module is not listed in the required CPANS on
> installation page.

Added.

>    the directories in the installation directions are not consistent it
> would help a lot if they were:
>          I had to cp ./masondocs/* /var/www/freeside/.   where httpd
> RootDirectory is /var/www/freeside

Everywhere I see "/var/www/freeside" in the installation instructions,
there is a comment noting it should be set to "your freeside document
root".  Please describe what you're talking about here in more detail or
provide a patch.

>    I had to down load and install the latest gdlib from
> http://www.boutell.com/gd/

libgd and the GD perl module are prerequisites of the Chart perl module.
Documentation patches welcome.

>    there are a whole bunch of error messages that are to be ignored
> during make
>
> MAYBE NITS:
>
>    when I ran freeside-setup gjpc for the first time I got a lot of
> tables created and then:
>        Use of uninitialized value in die at
> /usr/local/bin/freeside-setup line 297.
>        Died at /usr/local/bin/freeside-setup line 297.

I think this is a bug in DBD::Pg 1.40 (possibly only when used against
Pg 7.4 servers?), but as you did not provide the version information
requested in the message sent to you when you signed up for the list, I
have no idea.

>    when I add additional users with freeside-setup users I get:
>        freeside at a31p:~$ freeside-setup test

Users are added with freeside-adduser, as per the installation
instrucitons.

> Despite the above I get a working freeside.  I do get the following in
> apache-ssl's error log:
>    WARNING: message for msgcode daytime in locale en_US not found at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/Msgcat.pm line 62.
>    WARNING: message for msgcode night in locale en_US not found at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/Msgcat.pm line 62.
>    FS::CGI::table deprecated; include /elements/table.html instead at
> /var/www/freeside/view/cust_main.cgi line 807
>    FS::CGI::menubar deprecated; include /elements/menubar.html instead
> at /var/www/freeside/search/cust_main.cgi line 221
>    FS::CGI::header deprecated; include /elements/header.html instead at
> /var/www/freeside/search/cust_main.cgi line 221

I don't think you ran "populate-msgcat" as specified in the installation
instructions.

> I added a 2 customers and setup real time credit card transactions and
> actually got credit card transactions through my test gate  when I used
> Customer View screen->Process credit card payment
>
> NOW the BIGGIE:
>
> I added the second customer and changed the package to daily billing and
> ran  the daily I get a segmentation fault:
>        freeside at a31p:~$ freeside-daily -v gjpc
>        bill customer 2 at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm
> line 1120.
>          bill package 2 at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm
> line 1159.
>        collect customer 2: balance 150.00 at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1528.
>        invnum 2 (owed 150.00) at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1553.
>        calling invoice event ($cust_bill->realtime_card();)
>        FS::cust_main=HASH(0x8fcc048) CC 150.00
>          invnum => 2
>          description => Internet Services
>        Segmentation fault
>
> Since this started happening I cannot process credit card payments from
> the Customer View screen anymore.  I find in the error.log:
>    [Sat Mar 19 16:32:13 2005] [notice] child pid 2306 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)

I don't even know what gateway you're using, but if I had to venture a
wild ass guess, I'd say you're using an SSL-enabled gateway and screwed
up your OpenSSL shared library installation somehow.  Net::SSLeay or
Crypt::SSLeay will segfault if you try to link in multiple verisons of
the OpenSSL library or link in a version different than the one they
were compiled for.

To avoid this sort of thing I personally try to have only *one* version
of the OpenSSL library and headers installed, whether from the OS or
source.

> I can try wiping the database and starting over but I wonder if there is
> any interest in these problems.

Nothing here looks particularly interesting to me personally, no.  There
may be other folks that may have the time to help.