Error: Illegal or empty (text)

scott at ruralnetwork.net scott at ruralnetwork.net
Fri Mar 19 17:43:44 PST 2004

It took some digging, but I found that there was a bug in mod_perl's
interaction with the perl CGI module that caused CGI's param() to return
empty with forms submitted from some browsers.  Patches appeared in CGI
version 3.01 and modperl 1.99_13 (the development version of modperl 2.0).
No patches appeared for the modperl 1.0 series.

As a result of these patches, CGI versions 3.01 and above can cause Freeside
forms that use Apache::ASP and the CGI module to discard form input.  This
was my experience on my Mandrakelinux 10 community-based system with Perl
5.8.3 (with threads and PerlIO), Apache 1.3.29, Postresql 7.4.1, and
Freeside 1.4.1.

For me, the problem goes away when using CGI module versions 3.00 or 2.99
and Freeside1.4.1 with Apache::ASP.  Or, if I use the Freeside1.4.1 with
HTML::Mason, I haven't had any problems yet with any of the CGI module
versions between 2.99 and 3.04.

If you use CGI 3.00 or older, I guess it's possible that you could still
encounter problems with certain browsers and CGI/modperl form submissions
that brought about the bugfixes in CGI 3.01 and modperl 1.99_13.

Here are some of the relevant postings dealing with these particular bugs:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=106753601723209&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=106763759526580&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=106790808129123&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=106807187303714&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=107134818217436&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=107974159300678&w=2

The last one is mine, asking if the mod_perl 1.0 series also needs a patch
related to this bug.

 --
Scott Langley
scott at ruralnetwork.net