Email aliases

Ryan Trainor Ryan at trainor.com.au
Tue Jun 8 21:20:19 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm just setting up my first install of freeside and so far loving it!
I'm running on RedHat EL 3.0 ES and the only real problems I've had so
far have been to do with the RHN versions of RPMs not having the options
I want compiled, such as pgsql support in freeradius. The problem I'm
currently trying to work thru is regarding email aliases and I think
it's more a problem of me not having the concept of how freeside deals
with them straight in my head. Common enough scenario:

I create a mailbox for Bob from Company A, and another for John from
Company A. I use the usernames compa-bob and compa-john, respectively.
Now Company A register companya.com and I set the catchall for the
domain to compa-bob. All is good.
Then Bob calls and says that he wants info at companya.com to go to John.
In theory I can just throw a line in /etc/aliases, or I can setup
another mailbox thru freeside and a svc_forward to bounce that on to
John. If I go the second path then I set up a new user called info.
When Company B does all of the above and also wants info at companyb.com
forwarded somewhere, it can't be done because the info user already
exists.

I'm not using vpopmail, virtual domains or an sql-backed smtp server -
I'm using postfix 2.something because I want to stick with the RedHat
Network versions of the RPMs so that when an exploit in postfix is
discovered I just grab the new package via up2date. Hence my choice in
software is a bit restricted. My current plan is for freeside to add
unix users for each mailbox with blank passwords and have the pop3
server use pam_radius to authenticate them - this is working fine so
far. What I'd really like is for situations like the one above,
somewhere is freeside that I could specify that info at companya.com goes
to local user compa-john and info at companyb.com goes to compb-fred and
have an export script put the appropriate lines into /etc/aliases and
remove them as required. I'd *really* love to be able to look at a
customer in cust_main.cgi, click on a mailbox account and see the
aliases that point to that mailbox =)

Am I missing something? Is there an accepted way of making this work, or
does everyone just use vpopmail?

I guess the other option is to just whack together a quick web interface
to /etc/aliases and have newaliases run every 15 mins out of cron, but
I'd like to keep it in freeside if possible. Most of the research I've
done so far has pointed to svc_acct_sm, but that appears to have been
deprecated and in my new 1.41 install there isn't a table for it in the
standard schema. If svc_acct_sm is still the best way to do it I'm happy
to stuff around and get it working of course =)

Any suggestions or pointers anyone has would be great.

Thanks guys,

Ryan Trainor