[freeside] signup.cgi problems (says 'not running as freeside user')

ivan ivan at 420.am
Wed Apr 14 10:56:27 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:11:51AM -0500, imp at justneworleans.com wrote:
> Hello Ivan,
>
> Thanks for sending me in the right direction.  OpenBSD doesn't have suidperl,
> but it does allow, nowadays at least, secure setuid scripts.  With this new
> information in hand I was able to solve the initial problem; another, however,
> has cropped up.  It might be helpful to later archive scourers to see the steps
> I took,

I'm sure it will.  Thanks!

> But, the new problem:
>
> Now that signup.cgi can be invoked by the webserver, it is getting the same
> errors that I got from the command line before.  Another '500 internal server
> error'; in the error_log:
>
> "my" variable $prefix masks earlier declaration in same scope at /dev/fd/6 line
> 490.
> connect: Socket operation on non-socket at
> /usr/local/libdata/perl5/site_perl/FS/SignupClient.pm line 109.
>
> and 'premature end of script headers' error.
>

> I don't know what to make of the "my" variable masking, either.

Harmless warning.

> Could it be related to the socket problem?

No.

> In any event, what could be causing the connection to the socket to
> fail, & how might it be remedied?

Check and make sure you've run the signup server on the Freeside
machine, and that it has sucessfully ssh'ed to the public web server and
has run the signup client.  If the signup client isn't running, then
/usr/local/freeside/fs_signupd_socket won't be a socket, and you'd get
the "Socket operation on non-socket error".

FYI, the functionality of the signup server has been incorporated in the
self-service server in 1.4.2 and 1.5.0.  All of my installations have
been moved over and I'm not doing any more development or work on the
old signup server.  I do know it worked (and continues to work)
sucessfully for many folks, but I'm not in much of a position to debug
it or enhance the error reporting.

Good luck.