[freeside] fs-setup (*sigh*)

Randall Lucas rlucas at tercent.net
Thu Jul 10 14:11:22 PDT 2003

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, Randall did NOT suggest removing the -i.  Randall
suggested not permitting "trust" for "all," because if that gets left
in the config, one day someone will just assume that Postgres was set
up right, and they will have fallen into a gaping security hole.

Leave -i in, otherwise you can't connect via TCP/IP.

I do not advise, but state that you could put a host line in that says

host    all         all         127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255
md5

(note, second "all" depends on postgres version; if using 7.3 use two,
otherwise use one)

Always but always use md5, just as a matter of course.  Trust is not an
OK way to authenticate people to your database.  That being said, read
the PG docs and mailing lists.  This is not sufficient info for you to
properly and securely run postgres.

Randall