[freeside] Passwords over 12 chars

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Sun Aug 31 23:53:51 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 10:08:29PM -0700, Kristian Hoffmann wrote:
> When freeside exports to radius, it assumes any password longer than 12
> characters is a crypt password, following with the standard.  This is done
> because some people import crypt passwords into freeside and this is the
> only real way to determine if a password is plain text or crypt.

<without having looked at any code>

How many people use more than two bytes of salt with their DES crypts?
My DES crypted passwords are all exactly 13 characters, including salt.
Other crypt methods use the $[:digit:]$salt$crypt format, which should
reasonably programatically recognizable.  Perhaps the crypt password
assumption could be made only in the case of a 13 byte, or at least more
range limitted length, password or the regex matchable case.

lambert at lambertfam.org