Username disappears using sign-up server

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Wed Oct 16 10:05:41 PDT 2002

Hello,

I'm trying to get Freeside's sign-up server working before integrating it with our
existing online sign-up script.

The Freeside machine is running Redhat 7.2, Perl 5.6.1, and Freeside 1.4.1beta4.
(Saw the same behavior with beta3.)

When I use the sign-up CGI on the sign-up machine, I get the following error:
Error: Illegal username (error code illegal_username) (2-12):

Looking at the debug output on the Freeside machine, I get:

-------------
[fs_signup_server] Connecting to 192.168.0.4...
[fs_signup_server] Sending init data...
[fs_signup_server] Entering main loop...
[fs_signup_server] Reading (waiting for) signup data...
[fs_signupd] Reading init data...
[fs_signupd] Creating /usr/local/freeside/fs_signupd_socket
[fs_signupd] Entering main loop...
[fs_signupd] sending signup info...
[fs_signupd] sending signup info...
[fs_signupd] reading customer signup...
[fs_signupd] sending customer data to remote server...
[fs_signupd] reading error from remote server...
  popnum => 601
  daytime =>
  ss =>
  country => US
  first => James
  payname => James Madison
  referral_custnum =>
  pkgpart => 2
  paydate => 1-2004
  payby => CARD
  state => CT
  county =>
  address1 => 1600 Penn Ave
  night =>
  address2 =>
  payinfo => 4111111111111111
  fax =>
  city => Washington
  invoicing_list => POST
  sec_phrase =>
  last => Madison
  zip => 06488
  username => jmadison
  _password => jeffers1
  company =>
[fs_signup_server] Processing signup...
[fs_signup_server] Sending results...
[fs_signup_server] Reading (waiting for) signup data...
[fs_signupd] sending error to local client...
---------

So, it looks like the username is making it across to the Freeside machine and
then getting overwritten with an empty string before it is validated, resulting
in a correct report that the empty name is not in the required range.

Anyone come across this before?  Any hints would be appreciated.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall