success... finally! Also some questions and obversations

Alan Murrell swasak at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 26 04:08:58 PST 2002

I just thought I would let everyone know that I finally got Freeside up and
running on my Mandrake 8.2 system.  I did it via a very basic install
(OpenSSH/OpenSSL, PostgreSQL, minimal development tools).  Apache,
mod_perl/mod_ssl, etc. I installed from source via "Apache Tool Box".  All
in all, fairly easy to get up and running, oncce the documents are followed.
  Mandrake has a really funky setup with their Apache, and I suspect they
also do some weird stuff with their Perl module RPMS.  I would highly
recommend installing all the Perl modules via CPAN, just to be on the safe
side.

A couple of observations/suggestions, and of course, some questions...

1) Documentation: In the part of the documentation where you go through
setting up the database in PostreSQL, would it be possible to include a
little bit about setting up the ph_hba.conf file?  The default seems to be
disabling TCP/IP connections, and using IDENT user authentication, however,
this does not work with PostgreSQL, as was pointing out in response to one
of my earlier posts.

2) This is prolly due mostly to the test machine I have FreeSide running on,
but I just thought I'd bring it up just in case.  The loading of the pages
seems awfully slow, although as I mentioned, my test machine isn't really
the most powerful out there (Cyrix 333MHz, 64MB RAM).  Do others find it a
little slow?  There's nothing wrong with that, really; just wanted to see if
it *is* my machine or not.

3) A lot of the time (maybe 1 in 3 times), after clicking on a "submit" or
"save" button, I would get a "500 Internal server error".  Clicking
"Refresh" would bring me to the page it was supposed to be on, with my
changes and everything in tact, but Ijust wanted to mention this.  Here are
the specs of my setup:

   Cyrix 333MHz, 64MB RAM
   Apache 1.3.23 + all reuired Perl modules (latest builds from CPAN)
   Freeside 1.4.0pre11
   Apache::ASP (latest build from CPAN, as of 3/25/02)

Also, I was viewing the pages in the Opera web browser (v6.0, Tech. Preview
3), but have not had a chance to use another browser, so the errors could
have had something to do with Opera (it does  good job of browsing the web
most of the time, but sometimes "hicuups"; this could be one of those
"hicuups"

4) On a final note, I was going throught the instructions under
"Administration" in the Documentation (from the site).  I got as far as
entering in the Customer, and "ordering the Domain Hosting" package, but
when I went to the "Package View" screen to add my domain, there was no
"Add" button/link, as indicated in the instructions.  I clicked on pretty
much everything, but was unable to see any way to add my domain name to the
package.  Has the "add" button/link been taken away and replaced with
something else?  If so, what do I click on?  I really did click on pretty
much everything!

Well, that's everything, for the time-being.  Thanx, in advance!

Alan Murrell <swasak at hotmail.com>