[freeside] Some basic install clarifications

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Tue Aug 6 20:55:51 PDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 ivan at 420.am wrote:

> Nope, it doesn't.  Any user you added with `freeside-adduser' will do.
> How do you feel the documentation note "passing the username of a Freeside
> user you created above" is unclear?

Not unclear in that I understood to give it "a" username, just wondered if
there was anything special about that user.  I made up a user I don't plan
on using called "admin" so that if say user "joeblow" quits and I remove
him I won't have any problems...  Also I didn't see anything that outlined
what these two commands do; if it's just creating tables, then why pass a
username?  If it's doing more, I'm unsure of what it's doing.  If there's
more to read, point me to it...

> > Also the next step "populate-msgcat" has me lost as well, I don't know
> > which user to supply or to do this for every Freeside user.
>
> Same as above.  Any user you added with `freeside-adduser' will do.

What does "populate-msgcat" do?

> > Also, once I figure this out, I'd like to dump my config and start over.
> > What exactly needs to be done besides blasting away the db?
>
> rm /usr/local/etc/freeside/counters.<datasrc>/*
> rm /usr/local/etc/freeside/cache.<datasrc>/*
>
> And if you also want to remove your configuration, in addition to the
> database:
>
> rm /usr/local/etc/freeside/conf.<datasrc>/*
> cp freeside-1.4.0/conf/* /usr/local/etc/freeside/conf.<datasrc>/
>
> where <datasrc> is your DBI datasource.

Excellent, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks, this looks like a pretty nifty package!

Charles