Evaluating Freeside

Todd Miller toddmi at ikano.com
Fri Dec 7 10:40:42 PST 2001

I have been evaluating the billing portion of Freeside via the web demo and
by reading the mailing list archives.  Below are some of my findings.  I
just wanted to see if what I have found is true and see if any progress has
been made in any of the areas.  We are trying to determine our greatest
needs from Freeside and where we should begin with our contributions to the
project.

*  There is currently no auto suspend/release feature in the web interface.
Does anyone have a functioning script to accomplish this or is this
something that needs to be worked on?

*  The web interface doesn't have a way to create refunds or actually
transfer funds to a customer.

*  I don't see anything in the web interface and have not read anything
about adjustments.  How would one handle one of the following situations
with Freeside.

	A customer is to be charged $100 for sending SPAM on the network.
  	You comp a month of service for a customer.

*  Taxes can be added at the county, state and country level.  A little
confused by the web interface of this section???

*  The current payment types are credit card, check/cash and comp.  Are
there any plans or is anyone currently working on the inclusion of ACH as a
payment type?

*  Freeside does not appear to support billing periods, everything is billed
on the anniversary date.

*  There has been some talk about usage billing on the mailing list.  Is
anyone working to add this as additional functionality?

Thank you in advance for you input,

Todd