[freeside] Customer Add (exporting passwords to NIS and Shell machines on the fly)

ivan ivan at 420.am
Thu Nov 30 03:28:33 PST 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:10:15PM +1000, Tim McCullagh wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> I have read both of the references below, and I have scoured the mailing
> list.
>
> I am using FreeBSD 4.1  with MYSQL   perl 5.005, patch 03
>
> the only error messages I am getting are
>
> [Sun Nov 26 01:59:12 2000] signup.cgi: Use of uninitialized value at
> /usr/local/
> www/cgi-bin/signup.cgi line 236, <SOCK> chunk 1.
>
> and
> [Thu Nov 30 09:14:38 2000] signup.cgi: connect: Connection refused at
> /usr/local
> /lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/FS/SignupClient.pm line 102.

This error message indicates that the signup server is not able to connect
to the local socket, probably because `fs_signup_server user machine
agentnum refunm' was not run on the Freeside machine, as documented in
htdocs/docs/signup.html

> Freeside seems to be installed ok all the functions seem to be returning
> what I would expect.
>
> I am trying to determine where I am going wrong with regards to adding users
> and  with the online signup server facility.
>
> Both of these add new customers to the data base but neither seems to update
> the NIS or shell machine, yet there  seems to be a ssh connection
> established to each of these machines,

I very much doubt it.  Callbacks from svc_acct.pm will update the single
machine specified in the `shellmachine' configuration file only.

> yet nothing is updated.

How do you know there's a connection established?  Have you setup the
appropriate authorized_keys file on the target machine?  Have you verified
the command is executed sucessfully, perhaps by replacing it with a stub
that print it's arguments to a logfile?  Is it in your PATH?  Etc.

> I suspect it has to do with the fact that my default home dir is /usr/home
> whereas the actual home page location is /usr/home/initial/username.
>
> I suspect that the update is failing to create the directory structure and
> is exiting.

On what basis do you make that assumption?  I suspect that you're
incorrect.

> To make matters worse I don't seem to be getting any error messages, when
> using the admin customer signup screen.  To this end I am trying to walk
> through the steps.
>
> Given that there seems to be a ssh connection I am questioning whether I
> would need to run the svc_acct.export at all once the initial data has been
> imported, as it seems that this is being attempted by the signup scripts

You should run svc_acct.export every hour or so from cron.

> In my svc_acct.pm  I have changed the dir_prefix to include the  $dir_prefix
> . '/' . substr($recref->{username},0,1). '/' . $recref->{username};

I can't see why that would cause a problem.

> I believe the process is failing at the useradd statement below because of a
> problem with my $dir returning /usr/home instead of the full path.  If that
> make sence

Not one bit.

>   ssh("root\@$shellmachine",
>      "useradd -d $dir -m -s $shell -u $uid $username"
>  );

If the modification you suggested above was done correctly, then $dir will
contain the full path of the user's home directory, not `/usr/home'.

> I appologise for being a pain,  I have scoured the mailing list looking for
> similar questions without success.  I have also read and reread the
> references above and have followed the detail in each case without success.

Sorry it didn't work out.

> By the way I have been reading the docs that came with freeside not directly
> from the sisd site.   Are they different?

To ensure your documentation is in sync with the software you're running,
you should use the documentation that comes with the package.

--
meow