[freeside] Couple of Questions

ivan ivan at 420.am
Tue Mar 7 08:44:18 PST 2000

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 08:18:36AM -0800, Jim Scott wrote:
> One could easily create two sets of documentation that are specific to each
> type of SQL that the software supports.

Currently I only support two SQL engines, but the Perl DBI/DBD interface
I'm using supports dozens and I'd like to add support for more.  I don't
think it is practical to maintain a separate documentation set for each.

> I think the goal should be to make it as easy as possible for anyone to
> be able to install your software. Since your software requires many
> different applications then the goal I would think would be to make
> installing those required software pieces as easy as possible as well
> so as to avoid problems with the installation of your product.

I agree with the goal.  However I feel the best way to do this is not to
duplicate other packages' documentation.  When I'm installing something
that is documented like this, I *don't* find it easier that the
documentation for the package I'm installing is buried in lots of
duplicate documentation for other packages.

> Call it a tutorial or a help document. I think the goal is the same. Get
> freeside billing software installed and working.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from writing such a thing; I'm trying to
make clear my goals for the current documentation I've written so people
can decide if their goals are compatible.

> Also what about a perl script that a person would access after making sure
> all the components that are required are installed that would walk a user
> thru a serious of questions that would then setup the database, company
> information etc...
>
> I found a great piece of software called UltraBoard. Was fantastic and easy
> to setup. Access a perl script asks you a serious of questions. Shows you if
> all checks out and you are done.
>
> This would be a nice to see in your software as well.

Great idea, but not my current focus, personally.  Code is far more likely
to help than vapour.  :)

--
meow