Gimme a clue please ( or "Premature end of script headers" -- well _that's_ helpful!)

Donald L. Greer, Jr. dgreer at austintx.com
Sun Mar 5 03:14:27 PST 2000

  Hey folks,
  I'm being brain dead here I'm sure, but I'm hoping somebody can give
me a clue.
  I've installed 1.2.3 (1.2.2 exhibited the same problem) and I'm
attempt to get it up and running on a RedHat Secure Webserver 3.0
(apache 1.3.6 w/ OpenSSL something-or-the-other I think) on RedHat 6.1
Professional.
  I've grabbed and installed all the latest perl modules from CPAN
(maybe that's the problem ;^).
  Whenever I try to connect to any of the cgi scripts I get "Premature
end of script headers" but no other diagnostics (nothing from perl, no
core's that I can find, nothing).
  Here's what I know:
  There's NOTHING coming to the client (get a "blank page" message which
usually means that you don't even get a status ... I think), get the
above "...script headers" message which reinforces the idea that we
aren't getting as far as "HTTP 200 OK" or whatever, and I know from my
logs that there is no attempt to connect to MySQL (running on another
machine).
  Now, that's not the wierd part, this is what's weird: if I set the
"REMOTE_USER" environment variable and call "par_svc.cgi" manually, I
get a valid response and the correct html (taking into account that the
rest of the environment isn't set).
  Can anyone give me a suggestion of something else to check?  I've
gotten this damned thing working a couple of times on a couple of
different machines, including another 6.1 (I think) and I can't think of
anything I did different this last time that I didn't do before (not
that that means anything :^).
  Could it be my mod_perl is broken?  Something about one of the latest
packages from CPAN (has anybody installed all new packages in the last
few days and been successful in getting FS to run)?  Perhaps something I
should check for in Apache's config (it's basically a stock SecureWeb
config w/ customization for virtual-host support (pointing everything to
/web/something/...) and lots of <Virtual ...> statements).
  Sorry if this is a little vague, but I've been banging my head against
a wall on this for two solid days now and I'm getting a head ache.
  Any clues appreciated.
  Don

Donald L. Greer, Jr                  dgreer at AustinTX.COM
System Administrator                 Voice: 512-835-8005
AustinTX.COM                    http://www.AustinTX.COM/
  All opinions are my own.  Flame me directly.

"I don't necessarily believe software should be free...
but if you pay for it, it should work!" -- Me