more feature wishlist Re: [freeside] 1.2.3 released

ivan ivan at 420.am
Sat Mar 4 20:56:52 PST 2000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 01:13:20PM -0600, Tim Jung wrote:
> Well I was thinking the same thing since the web site doesn't show anything
> new since March of 1999 and until recently (today?) the web archive stopped
> at sometime last fall.

Yes, there was a period of time when the mailing list was hosted on my
west coast servers but the web page and archive were on the east coast
server and out of date.

Everything's on the new servers now and the archive/search is working
again.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

[ snipped lengthy discussion of billing packages - a more appropriate
place for this is the isp-invoicing mailing list:
<http://www.isp-invoicing.com> ]

> I would love to see Freeside be able to support most of these options, or at
> least have tight links/hooks into other GNU/GPL packages to make it happen,
> like Help Desk/Knowledge Base,

I'm not aware of any open-source Help Desk/Knowledge Base (most of them
are more oriented toward "bug tracking") systems that could be integrated.

> Automatic Domain Registration,

Freeside currently supports automatic domain registration via email
templates, and soon via OpenSRS.

> Virtual ISP/Reseller stuff,

`Agents' provide most of this functionality in Freeside.  Since you can
run many Freeside instances on a single machine, you could use that for
"Virtual ISP" service.

> export of information to an accounting package

The data is in the SQL database - you should be able to import it into
your accounting package from there, or write code to import data from SQL
into your accounting package's proprietary format.

> or build an accounting package into Freeside,

Probably won't happen unless I get help from a CPA, or someone hires one
for me.

> more credit card/payment support for
> auto-charging like CyberCash/Authorize.net/paybycheck.net/ICVerify for Unix
> and ACH support.

CyberCash and Authorize.Net as well as Signio are currently supported.

> The OpenSRS domain registration client is GPL and written
> in Perl so it shouldn't be to hard to link in or puts hooks to it. We do
> consulting for TUCOWS and are working with them on the OpenSRS domain
> registrar stuff.

I'm working on OpenSRS support currently.  The OpenSRS folks have been
*extremely* unhelpful and have refused to setup a test account for
me.

--
meow