[freeside] 1.2.3 released

ivan ivan at 420.am
Sat Mar 4 19:12:48 PST 2000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 09:28:55AM -0600, Brian Wolfe wrote:
> 	I want to add some functionality to freesied. I want to be able to
> have multiple shell servers where a shell accounts is NOT global. i.e.
> it can be on machine-a but not on machine-b, and account 2 can be on
> machine-b but not on machine-a. acount 3 can be on machines a and b.

An excellent idea.  There's been some work done on this already which I'll
be happy to make available and help you with.  I also would like to see
this functionality.

> 	Also, is there any prefered method for haing colocated machines.

I'm not sure I understand this question.

> 	how do I add year long accounts to freeside if i were to start
> it's biling cycle as of marc 15th?( as in ones that aren't due for
> several months) Will I have to wait until that point to do it or what?

While it isn't possible with the web interface (yet), you can set the
`bill' field of the cust_pkg table to whatever you like - see the
FS::cust_pkg manpage and the cust_pkg section in htdocs/docs/schema.html.

> 	also, is there any chance of being able to "stagger" billing
> cycles? 1/2 of the users on the 1st and the other half on the 15th?

Pretty much the same as above - not yet possible with the web interface
but fairly trivial at the library level.

> 	as you can see i'm very interested in getting ahold of a lot more
> than freeside can handle right now. I'm also VERY interested in getting
> into the development and pacakging this for Debian.

It would be *great* to get Freeside packaged up for Debian.  The first
step would be packaging up the Perl modules that Freeside depends on that
aren't yet a part of the Debian distribution.

While it's too late to make it into 2.2, I'd be thrilled to be able to
give users a set of .deb packages that install on top of 2.2, and
then hopefully be included in the 2.3 release.

> 	Is it normal for the freeside users list to be so quiet? I haven't
> seen anything since I signed up until your email here. I was allmost
> ready to take the entire package and either fork it or take it over.

There are periods of inactivity and activity.

While of course, as it is open-source, you have the right to fork the
package, I'd very much hope instead that you'd prefer to work with me.  :)

The current development snapshot has some differences from 1.2.3 - so if
you're interested in contributing please sync up.

--
meow