[freeside] Username Size

ivan ivan at 420.am
Thu Jun 15 18:00:00 PDT 2000

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 12:48:05PM +1200, Colin wrote:
> Is there a proper procedure to change the maximum size for the
> username??
> I believe the default size is 8 characters, which i think is read from
> the length in the svc_acct table for username.
> I've added the 'usernamemax' file in the config and set this to 16,
> however upon loading the 'Add New Customer' menu the max size of the
> username field is still set to 8 characters. Same username field size is
> also displayed in the 'Add SLIP/PPP account' menu
>
> Next attempt was to change the field size in mysql for the svc_acct
> table and hope that the $ulen variable would change to this value, the
> username field size in svc_acct is now set to 16. Restarted apache,
> emptied cache etc.. and loaded the same menus as mentioned above but
> still no change, still restricted to 8 characters.

You're correct, the username length comes from the field size in the
svc_acct table.

You need to run bin/dbdef-create after you modify the database structure
(then restart Apache).

The `usernamemax' configuration value *overrides* the field size in the
svc_acct table, so you should probably only use it to set the currently
acceptable username size to something smaller than the field size.  It
could cause problems if it was set larger than the field size.

--
meow