[freeside] Importing Legacy Data

Turtle turtle at netzon.net
Tue Jun 13 21:02:53 PDT 2000

>The import script uses SSH, not rsh or rlogin.

I only have sshd2... I'll try to figure out how to use that and let you all
know.  If I can't, I'll get sshd1

>If you'd read the source or tried the script before firing off an flame,
>you'd have found out that `root@' is prepended automatically.

I couldn't try the script because I couldn't use ssh.
I shouldn't have to read the source, either, since this sort of thing ought
to be in the docs, which would make things easier for everyone that tried to
install it.

I also really didn't mean this to be a flame, It just sortof came out that way
I guess.  I'm getting frustrated, not so much because the script doesn't do
what I want it to, but more because there is a lack of information as to how
to make it do what I want it to do.  I'll keep working at it though.  I get
easily discouraged reading the source, because it uses so many different ways
of doing things and keywords in perl that I've never heard of.

>> but even so, it doesn't even need to leave the local machine!  I have the
files
>> I want to import on the local machine and there doesn't seem to be an option

>> for importing them from there.
>
>localhost:/path/to/local/file

Doesn't that still mean that I have to run an ssh server for it to connect to
on localhost?  It's going to try to connect, and I just want it to go read a
file.

>Then modify the source; no one is stopping you.  Ranting on a public
>mailing list is neither productive nor appriciated.

I'm not trying to rant, I'm sorry.

>That's not good security.  SSH's public-key authentication is more secure.

>(No reason it couldn't be used to make a daemon like you describe, of
>course)

If it's on a local lan, encryption is redundant, since noone has any access
to the packets anyway.  I just didnt' understand the concept of how it worked,
 I assumed that it would just cut out all my other accounts that weren't specifically
added to freeside.

> Freeside was
>designed from the start to automate administration and farming of remote
>machines from a central database of user information.

K.  I kinda lost track of the purpose of the program...

>>  What happens to all the other things
>> like root and what not that I don't want to go through freeside?
>
>You should import your entire passwd file.

That would force me to change the root password through freeside?  That just
seems odd.  I'll do it though if I have to.  I'm just afraid of it.  I have
a perfectly functioning mail server, and I don't want to accidentally drop someone's
account or anything like that.

What does meow mean anyway :-P Just curious.

Brian