Importing Legacy Data

Turtle turtle at netzon.net
Tue Jun 13 10:41:29 PDT 2000

Ok... i'm running /usr/local/fs-1.2.3/bin/svc_acct.import and i get through
all the options then it asks me:

Enter the location and name of your _user_ passwd file, for example "Mail.isp.com:/etc/passwd"
or "nis.isp.com:/etc/global/passwd"

Well... That would be nice if I USED rsh and rlogin... Which I don't.  I don't
even know if that's what it's for but I've never heard of that syntax for a
file being used on anything else, and even with rsh it would be root at dns.netzon.net:/etc/passwd
but even so, it doesn't even need to leave the local machine!  I have the files
I want to import on the local machine and there doesn't seem to be an option
for importing them from there.  This is really starting to become annoying now...
 It's not doing things the logical way I think that it should be doing them.
 The best way it could do it is to have some kind of a server program running
on the machine that has the passwd and shadow files that would accept connections
only over the local lan, then go in and MODIFY the existing passwd and shadow
files.  I really don't want to have to overwrite my passwd/shadow files.  I
REALLY don't want to have to do that.  What happens to all the other things
like root and what not that I don't want to go through freeside?

Brian