SSH adding users to shell machine

Chris macgyver at sonicisp.net
Thu Sep 30 16:27:14 PDT 1999

Hello all,

I've read all the archives and have found numerous entries relating to the
topic but I just can't make the freeside machine log into the shell machine
and do a USERADD command.  In fact, it appears that ssh is never even being
executed (it could be - I am watching TOP to see if it runs so it could run
and quit quicker than top can update I suppose...)

I have set SHELLMACHINE in the conf dir.  SSHD2 is running on the shell
machine.  SSH works on the freeside machine but fails to login to the shell
machine even when I manualy try it.  I obviously haven't generated my keys
and hostkeys etc. either correctly or placed them in the right dirs.  Could
someone PLEASE take a second and run down exactly what keys should be in
what dirs and what machines?  IE. shell or freeside ...  Please don't say
RTFM because I truly have!  I'm just not getting it.  (And I'm not stupid
because I WAS able to make freeside work up to this point!  And we all know
that's not easy !  ;)

Seriously, any help would be most appriciated!

Thanks,

Chris Bunnell
Network Operations
Sonic Internet Services