[freeside] MORE: SSH adding users to shell machine

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Sun Oct 3 17:34:19 PDT 1999

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 08:58:37PM -0700, Chris wrote:
> Ok, I kept reading and reading and.... reading...
>
> Now I can log in from the freeside machine to the shell machine without
> having to enter any passwords etc.

You need to be able to log in as the freeside user, from the freeside
machine, to the root user on the shell machine:
    $ ssh root at shellmachine

> and my freeside user on the shell machine
> is UID 0

Don't do that!

The freeside user on the shell machine should have a regular UID, and in
fact is not used unless you're using fs_passwd.

> so I can then use the useradd...  it all SHOULD work.  But doesn't.
>
> From what I can see, ssh on the freeside machine is never even being
> envoked.  I DO have a shellmachine in the conf file and I checked to make
> sure that nossh_hack was not some how set.  I don't know what else to look
> for.  I know VERY little about Perl so I can't really take the programs
> apart.  Beside, I assume that they must work anyway.  One thing I do wonder
> about in the svc_acct.pm program is that it looks like ssh is going to try
> to log in as "root" rather than the freeside user (ie. FREESIDE)

That's correct.

> This won't work.

Well, if you would like that feature to work, you need to configure ssh so
that it will.

> 'Course first things first, ssh has to at least run to get me that
> far - and it's not.  I'm still missing something that will tell freeside to
> try to do the useradd by envoking ssh.  Any ideas anyone?

Your methodology for determining if ssh is being run (watching top)
doesn't seem very accurate.

Perhaps a better idea would be to insert debugging calls in
svc_acct.pm and SSH.pm, and replace ssh with a stub program as described
in my previous message.

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside