FOUND A BUG, encrypted passwords and importing

Ben Leibig leibig at interfaze.net
Tue Jun 29 23:02:52 PDT 1999

Ok, here's the deal.  Freeside seems to create a _password column in
svc_acct which is 8 characters long.  Now, it is true that Unix passwords
are only 8 characters long, however once encrypted then tend to be longer.
When little old me runs svc_acct.import and imports all my passwords, only
the first 8 characters of the encrypted password is imported.  The result of
course is that regardless of weather freeside double encrypts the password
or not, it's not going to work because the crypt string is not complete.

Solutions:  I haven't implemented any yet, I'm interested on what thoughts
are, or if I am just being stupid.

1: Just store all passwords encrypted.  Encrypt them when you get them... I
don't see any reason to keep a non encrypted password in the database,
actually it seems almost stupid.

2: Expand svc_acct._password to be larger(I don't know the maximum size for
an encrypted password.

I really want to get freeside implemented and start using it to take care of
my bills, but at this point it is not practical due to this problem.  If
anyone has any ideas let me know.  If anyone has any ideas on how to just
adapt freeside to encrypt all passwords right away and work of a Unix like
encrypted password scheme, that would be what I would prefer.

	Thanks,
		Ben Leibig