[freeside] changing a user's home directory (and other seemingly unchangeable parameters)

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Thu Jul 15 16:59:41 PDT 1999

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 09:47:14PM -0700, dk smith wrote:
> During the course of the configuration we have a couple user's Home
> directories incorrectly entered. Is there a simple way to change the path?
> I do not see a way to accomplish this with the "Edit Shell Account account"
> screen. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Just edit the database directly.

> We thought deleting the account and adding it back might be solution

That's not a good solution.  You should only do this if deleting the
account and adding it back is what you *really* want to do, not for
changes.

> however it appears that there is no such thing as a deleting a user in
> freeside?

That's incorrect, you can delete users (as in accounts, not as in
customers).  To do that, cancel the package the account belongs to.

This _isn't_ what you want to do if you just want to change some
information.  The sales folks at the ISP where Freeside was developed
would do this all the time, and customers would get very upset when all
the files in their home directory and mailbox were gone, and then the
sysadmin folk would get annoyed, becuase they'd have to manually pull them
out from backup.

> Is it possible to assign a user account and then delete it?

I don't understand what this means.  Can you re-phrase this question?

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside