[freeside] Help with imported data

Tech Account techy at orac.hq.org
Wed Aug 25 07:18:08 PDT 1999

> By ordering packages which cost money.

In an accounting system you would simply have an outstanding balance field.
This is what I'm after, since it allows me to enter in incosistent past
entries, while not totally going nuts making packages and doing custom
pricing for every little wacky past billing issue.

> To do this non-interactively, see the `FS::cust_pkg' manpage.  If you need
> to do the equivalent of the `Customize Pricing' button from the web
> interface, so you can assign different prices to everyone, see the
> `FS::part_pkg' manpage.
>
> > What if this amount
> > is more or less than the amount of the current packages for that
> > user?
>
> It isn't, by definition.

You seem to be completely unfamiliar with billing in the real world, which
consists of many items, things like discounts for multiple packages of the
same type, late charges as a percentage of owed money, one time items, etc.
All of these things have a drastic impact on the BALANCE that someone is
owed, as opposed to how much they need to pay on a regular bill.
Freeside is a great solution for setting up and billing people in an idylic
world, but it's inflexible from an accounting standpoint.