Help Freeside !

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Tue Aug 10 02:38:15 PDT 1999

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 10:10:44AM +0200, Carl Swart wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> I have downloaded and installed FreeSide 1.2.1 successfully so far, but
> I have a couple of questions ....
>
> 1: Is Freeside suppose to actually create mailboxes, all the
> directories and stuf on a machine ?
> 	If yes, how do I get that to work ? Where can I go for some more
> info on that !

Yes, see htdocs/docs/export.html and htdocs/docs/config.html as well as
htdocs/docs/man/svc_acct.txt (1.2.1) or htdocs/docs/man/FS/svc_acct.html
(current CVS and future releases) and the source code itself in
site_perl/svc_acct.pm (1.2.1) or FS/FS/svc_acct.pm (current CVS and future
releases).

> 2: Does Freeside setup bind ? Or can one enable to do it ?

Not yet, no.

> 3: How can I add another registry ?

You'll need hack site_perl/svc_domain.pm (1.2.1) or FS/FS/svc_domain.pm
(CVS and future releases) and also create directories and configuration
for that registry.  It wouldn't be very difficult to add a registry that
accepted email templates, but would be more work to add a registry that
needed web forms or had some other method of communication.

If you're going to work on the source you should probably keep current
with CVS.

> 4: I also want to add another billing method. A debit order method.

See <http://www.sisd.com/freeside/list-archive/msg00737.html> (the file
site_perl/cust_main.pm referred to here has moved to FS/FS/cust_main.pm in
the CVS snapshot).

You'll also need to modify site_perl/cust_pay.pm (1.2.1) or
FS/FS/cust_pay.pm (CVS and future releases).

> 5: What about enable freeside to setup Frontpage 2000 server extentions ?

I'm not familiar with Frontpage 2000 server extensions specifically.

You could add code to the insert method of FS::svc_domain;
site_perl/svc_domain.pm (1.2.1) or FS/FS/svc_domain.pm (CVS and future
releases).  You will probably need to add (a) field(s) to svc_domain to
specify if each domain should get web space with Frontpage 2000 server
extensions.

> 6: What about a way to setup some CGI scripts on a webserver ?

Probably the same way as above.

> I am a perl programmer, and had a look at your code. I've also
> developed a similar system, making use of MS Access, ASP, MySQL and
> Perl.  Your system is however much better designed than mine, but mine
> does a couple of things that I can't seem to get going on yours, and
> that is mainly the automatic activation of services. I also have an
> interface program to a TACACS server for setting up dailin clients. I'm
> currently developing on a module for Perl, to allow me to setup Quota's
> using Perl.
>
> So as you can see, I have a couple of things that are very close to
> what you are doing, and if you would like to contribute to the program,
> I will be more than willing.

Help is certainly welcome.  Do join the mailing list and share where
you're at to avoid duplicate work!  :)

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside