feature request

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Wed May 27 11:17:59 PDT 1998

Yes, this is something that could very easily be adapted to Freeside.

All prices in Freeside are not numbers, but `Safe' perl expressions.  This
makes implemeting any sort of variable rate service simply a matter of
expressing how the rate varies in perl.  I haven't had time to
comprehesively test this for complicated expressions or define what gets
passed in to the expression, but it is in the works.

1.1 should include a realtime radius logfile parser which drops arbitrary
radius data into your database, where presumabely it will be easy to get
at from inside those expressions.  You could use that as the basis for a
realtime SNMP poller (thats how you get to the MIBs no?) for arbitrary
SNMP data along the same lines.

As for this as a feature request, it sounds sufficiently arcane that I
doubt I'll be able to implement it "soon" unless someone contracts for it
or there is a (unknown to me so far) large desire to use SNMP information
for variable billing.  Or someone besides myself contributes it, of
course.  ;)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Tom Secula wrote:

> i would like to pose a question :
>
> let's say you're an isp who is selling internet access. your customer can't
> afford a full T1. So as the provider you'd like to structure something that
> has a flat rate portion and a pay as you go portion. The variable piece
> would be  your burst rate above a committed access rate. cisco ios can tag
> packets with a different ip precedence or drop them when they exceed a
> certain transfer rate. The information is stored in an ip precedence mib. i
> haven't found any reasonably priced software that the isp could use to poll
> that data and produce billing records..
>
> Does this sound like something that can be adapted to freeside ?
>
> thanks,
>

> - Tom Secula
> - voice 609-478-4579
> - fax   609-478-2842

- --
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key
Silicon Interactive Software Design - http://www.sisd.com/
Open source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside
"But it's alright, to smile back at me" -Blind Melon