SetUID Problem Maybe?

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Mon Dec 7 02:47:44 PST 1998

On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 03:27:17PM -0500, Stephanie Gesler wrote:
> Is this that setuid problem I have read some of on the list?  I was looking
> for your resolution..
>
> Not running uid freeside! at /www/apache/share/htdocs/FS/search/cust_main.cgi line 34

Yes, it is.  The solution is operating-system dependant.  See the
`perlsec' manpage for the full story.  On most operating systems, Perl
needs to be compiled with setuid/setgid emulation enabled.  In Debian, I
just install the perl-suid package; I'd imagine Red Hat, FreeBSD, etc.
would have similar packages.

(You would also get this message if you didn't set the correct ownership
and permissions on the programs in the web interface.)

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key
Silicon Interactive Software Design - http://www.sisd.com/ - 888-670-SISD