Getting Freeside to work

Mark Williamson mark.williamson at ebbs.com.au
Sat Dec 5 16:43:17 PST 1998

Hello There,

I have been working for some time to get Freeside up and running..   so
far I believe that I have about 90% of the program up and running may
be..

At this moment I am using Debian Linux..  with most of the Perl stuff
installed using .deb files..  the only Perl stuff not installed that way
was the Perl programs that not avaiable in .deb fromat, and the Perl
that needed the patch added to it.

I have Apache SSL and SSH up and running..  Both test and seem to be
working well..

I setup a virtual site for my freeside, including adding it to the DNS

Here is an extract from my httpd.conf file..  as it may help some people
get this up and running..  Also some people may spot some holes... I
have changed the ip addresses and the DNS names for the sake of this
E-mail

---- Extract starting here

NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.60
NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.60:443

<VirtualHost freeside.mycom.com:443>
SSLEnable
AccessFileName .htaccess
ServerAdmin me at mycom.com
DocumentRoot /var/freeside/freeside
Options ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script cgi
ServerName freeside.mycom.com
ErrorLog /var/log/apache-ssl/freeside-error.log
TransferLog /var/log/apache-ssl/freeside-access.log
SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache-ssl/freeside.pem
<Directory /var/freeside/freeside/search/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
</Directory>
<Directory /var/freesie/freeside/edit/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
</Directory>
<Directory /var/freeside/freeside/browse/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
</Directory>
<Directory /var/freeside/freeside/view/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
</Directory>
<Directory /var/freeside/freeside/misc/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

-------- end of Extract

I have now have SSH working on the freeside account..  but this moment
all that I would like to do is add users to the local machine..    at
this moment..  that is into the /etc/passwd and the /etc/shadow files..
Now I have added fs_passwd to my system as suggested by docs in
passwd.html..  I have tested the ssh setup..   seems to work O.K.
basically after I relised that I need to leave the pass phase out all
together..  now when I run 'fs_passwd/fs_passwd_server
freeside.mycom.com'  but it basically hangs..  no error messages...

At this moment with my setup..  when I create user, basically of of the
stuff neede to update the passwd files ends up sitting in the
/var/spool/freeside/export dir..  so it's the part of the configeration
that I need to get right.

In the /var/freeside/conf dir, I see that i am meant to make up 2 files
for  'shellmachine' and 'shellmachines' (actually writing this E-mail I
may hve spotted where I have gone wrong)  I didn't have the
'shellmachines' file..   O.K. it may be needed to add the passwds even
to the actual local machine as well.  Arrr..

O.K . all I do is need to get pass the exporting the passwords files..
and a few other bits and peices up and running..   looks as it could be
a very good system..

Mark